Sunday, September 3, 2017

A Different Fathers Day !

Another day in SJoG, Subi... I have to remember where I am, people keep asking. Every six hours I'm woken up, given a couple of pills, perhaps an anti-clotting injection. Then the interrogation: who am I, where am I, what year is it... Luckily there's a whiteboard in my room, with the date written on it. I'm never the best at tracking the date.

Today, however, is Fathers Day. I can remember that :-)

I may have slept a bit after last night's blogging, I'm not sure. I just drift along, enjoying being looked after. And if I feel tired, I rest. Till breakfast starts my day.

I phone Deb. That cheers us both up :-) I want Deb to know I am well so she can go for a run, not rush, come to visit in her own time.We both enjoy the  call.

A nurse makes my bed, provides a fresh hospital gown, says to not get my hair wet if I shower. Not to worry, I'm not yet ready to shower. I'm never obsessively clean. Hardly even casually clean.

My skull dressing is -- so I'm told -- a bit bloody. It's back where I can't see it. The nurse takes it off. I don't feel a thing, it's just coming  off a hairy but presumably well-set bit of scalp. Yes, there is a track of blood but it's old and black, not at all blood-like, I don't feel queazy at all. A bit of a wipe and a fresh dressing.

I don't shower -- but I shave... Want to make a good impression. Yes, Deb arrives, notices and is impressed :-) Well, she's pleased. Deb likes me to pretend to care how I look.

We go for a few laps around the corridors. Just the  ward corridors. No way Deb will allow me -- in my hospital gown -- onto the more public floors. Then we take a break in a small waiting area. Somewhere different from my room.

A good place to wait -- opposite the lifts. Robbie, Antonia and Will arrive.

Will is a bit shy with  me, I do look different. He runs off to explore the corridors, Antonia chasing after. A bit later and Will grabs Deb's hand, to take her round and show her the corridors. And the circles and the clock and the other odds and ends for which he has words. All good fun :-)

A bit later Will grabs my hand and we do a tour of the corridors. I'm accepted :-) Robbie tags along, just in case I can't keep up the pace.

It's getting towards lunchtime, I can smell the food. R, A and W head off for a walk then home. A bit later, after some happy chat, I send Deb home.  She needs to potter in the garden then will go to R&A's for dinner. Rather than the three go to our place.

And I admit that I'm not entirely considering Deb's need to de-stress in the garden. I'm tired. I seem to remember that we visited Antonia at SJoG, just after Will was born, A. was pretty tired. It's clear that Will is the common  cause of exhaustion :-)

A very pleasant visit.

I sleep. Wake up cold, pull up a blanket, rest a bit more. Do a few more corridor laps. Drink more tea, read, get measured, meet the nurse for this shift, the name on the board changed while I slept. I usually notice when it's a different nurse, though  I'm no good at remembering who they are. The whiteboard is useful.

I finish one  book, review it, start another... I seem to have missed reviewing the last book that I read. Tsk, tsk...

Another hour (maybe?) till dinner. Today is Sunday 3rd Sep 2017, Fathers Day. It's been interesting: somewhere between "good" and "an eye-opening experience". I expect to be diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer requiring lots more treatment. That's a problem for next week, after Thursday. Then there's the hard testicle... Best expectation -- so far expressed -- is that it will be chopped out. Max the dog lived with just one testicle, no worries.

I think that I'll spend the time before dinner, emailing a few more friends and relatives. Spreding the news. Whether or not they want to know... I want to tell...  And now is a good time: I (probably) don't know the full extent of the problem so I'm still (blindly) cheerful. A good time for a few jokes about balls and brains :-)

But before I do that, Tim provided a German saying which roughly translates, he says, to She'll be right. Which reminds me...

An American will say, No problem. That's just blatant denial. An Australian will say, No worries. Meaning, Yes there may be a problem but not to worry, we're here to sort it out.

No worries.




====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"We must learn from our past mistakes so that we can improve our new mistakes" … per Ginger Meggs
   

No comments:

Post a Comment