Saturday, September 9, 2017

life slows down...

Time to make a practical decision: What will we do about our planned December holiday in New Zealand? Deb's answer: Cancel it. Oh well. I suspect that Deb's attitude is more realistic than my own.

So I send a few emails, use the web, cancel walks, a run, accommodation. For the ones where I've paid a relatively small deposit I say, if it's easier, I'm happy for any refund to be donated to a favourite local charity. Funny, cash-back seems to be relatively unimportant :-)

Curiously enough... I had not yet booked flights to NZ. Some sort of premonition, perhaps?! As if... just lazy.

The only refund worth getting is for the Routeburn Track walk, that's quite expensive. So I won't cancel travel insurance until I see what comes back from that walk.

I cancel my Feral Pig run --  and Deb's volunteering to help. Feral will be along -- and supporting -- the Bibb Track. With my cancellation I suggest that any refund could go direct to the Bibb Track Foundation.

====

An email from Maxien makes me think (again?) that I do not want to "spoil" my last days with a desperate search for a miracle cure... Not that I'll give up hope :-)  But I want to enjoy the relatively short time left with Deb (and everyone else!). Especially since Deb will then have a long time -- I hope -- with just memories. My ego demands that they be *good* memories...

A few more practical matters:

World of Warcraft will automatically renew in December. Too soon to cancel! Maybe... Anyway, I leave it to renew. With a note-to-self to make sure that it eventually does get cancelled.

A brief but morbid email to the Yoting farmers, to tell them that I am no longer expecting to plan a rogaine in their area.

A bit of rental management, passed on (as much as possible) to the managing agents. A few options to consider for a vacant unit. Get a different quote before renewing landlords insurance. I'm considering passing all tasks to accountants, with overall decision-making to Tim. Deb likes that idea, I need to talk with Tim.

The rogaine newsletter for September is ready -- so I believe -- to be made available for access from the WARA website. It *should* be there by today. But it's not. Do I want to follow up?!

====

Then there is a far less practical matter: not a Bucket List but a major to-do item. Something that I have wanted to do, that I believe I could do well even if incompletely, that would be well worth starting. But that I would expect to be left -- ignored -- well on the other side of the starting line.

Feel free to scoff :-) Deb said, Why not?! Indeed, why not? It may be stupid but my embarrassment will be very short-lived :-) So:

The WA Health System is brilliant. Doctors, nurses, everyone in the system is working hard, doing their best. Everything that at I saw at SCGH reinforced my positive opinion. Yet -- as far as I can tell -- overall staff morale is down, down, down.

I believe that I could help. I am, after all, a dexitroboper, that's what I do. I solve the impossible problems.

I have a vague idea of where to start. I may not get to the start line, let alone over the start line. But I have added "Overall Improvement of the WA Health System" as a task on my to-do list. When/if I get a chance, I may even ... do something.

My brother -- of the recently calcified aorta -- is desperate to get back to strenuous physical activity, it's what he enjoys. I'm keen -- though not quite desperate -- to keep my mind occupied. Different people, different coping strategies.

It may come to nothing. But not for want of ... thinking about it :-)




====
Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:

=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"I have an above average QI." … per Ginger Meggs



No comments:

Post a Comment