Friday, September 29, 2017

public transport: it works :-)

I decide that today is a good day to catch a bus to West Perth. A good day to be out and about, a good day to refine my bus-catching skills. And to West Perth... for a reason which has been covered in my separate "ranting" blog :-)

Last night I had prepared what I would need to bring... especially the mobile phone. I'm no longer allowed to leave home without it :-)

This morning I plan the bus trips there and back. Two buses each way. I write down the details. Perhaps I should... nooo... I don't want a smart phone. When I'm out of the house I want to look around, not at a screen.

So much over-preparation and I'm still not sure that the trip will be worth it. I'm ready... look at the clock... realise that it is exactly the time at which I should walk out the front door... so I do.

The trip is easy :-) I reach West Perth, feeling pleased with myself. Find that the excuse for my visit needs more preparation, so I prepare to head straight home... And realise that my carefully checked bus times to get home -- depend on my spending four hours in West Perth!

Not to worry, I know where bus 84 stops on Wellington Street and I know that the 84 passes close to home. I walk to Wellington Street, find the bus stop and find that the next 84 is due in five minutes... Lucky timing... I'm home in another half an hour.

Some lessons from the trip:

... Public transport is excellent. It helps to plan the trip in advance.When plans change it would be useful to carry a bus timetable.

... Even a two hour journey needs a toilet half-way. Luckily I know the location of every public toilet in nearby Kings Park :-)

... Two hours away from home. Perhaps 3km walking (I strolled through Kings Park). It doesn't seem much. Yet I am exhausted! Much further and I may have fallen asleep in the bus home... I may be getting better but I still need to include plenty of rest.

===

And I'm home!

Just on time for a phone call from Tamika at FSH: to confirm an appointment for a PET scan on Monday...?! Yes, it's for me. I don't know the doctors who requested the scan. I have already had a PET scan at SJoG.

Okay, we decide, this scan was requested while I was in the Public Hospital system, for after brain surgery. Then I changed to Private and had earlier brain surgery. This allowed me to have an earlier -- private -- PET scan. The public scan was not cancelled. Tamika will phone the relevant doctors. If I hear no more -- the scan is off...

Why don't I just say, No, cancel it, I've already been scanned ?!

I've placed myself fully in the hands of experts. Sometimes I know why something is being done, sometimes I simply accept that it is essential. Is there any need for a PET scan after -- as well as before -- this week's surgery? I don't know. I also don't know -- don't remember -- the doctors who ordered this scan. Which means nothing...

I'm glad that Tamika is willing to follow through. Thank you, Tamika :-) And there are now more lessons for today:

... There's a potential communication gap between the Public and Private health systems. As well as between doctors and patients who are not good listeners.

... The world is much easier to organise thanks to helpful people like Tamika :-)

And now I think that I just may have a bit of a nap...


=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"Wer den Daumen auf dem Beutel hat, der hat die Macht." … Otto von Bismarck eh what?!

====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment