Saturday, September 23, 2017

scanning brain, thinking balls

Saturday. MRI brain scan at Subi. My approach -- how I feel as I get ready for this scan -- is strange...

It's just another scan amongst many. It's a pre-radiation brain scan, to give the radiation oncologist a clear view of the area that he will be zapping. Just one step on the way to six weeks' of radiation. But...

On Wednesday I'm off to hospital -- a different hospital -- for surgery to remove my cancerous testicle. It's just one step of my treatment... But...

I'm all prepared -- mentally, perhaps even emotionally -- to have my brain zapped. Having a "radical orchidectomy" (ouch!) is... not on my internalised treatment path. What I mean is, I am still thinking, Brain zap! But Operation Ouch! is more of an immediate worry.

Oh, not "worry"! No more than usual, anyway :-)  This seems to be a good time to include bits of an email, explaining the next surgery:

---->
The PET scan showed that yes, there are spots of cancer on my lymph nodes. Presumably from the loose ball playing out of position. Once the off-side players are identified -- by looking at the right ball left in the play area -- the cancer team can decide on suitable treatment. Perhaps show the lymph nodes the same red card that the brain will be getting. At least decide if both cancers can be treated during the same six-week plan. Because the ball is already in play, it would be nice to treat it sooner rather than later.

The key question seems to be, seminoma vs non-seminona. Which sounds like a cereal to me, so I could be mis-remembering the tumour type. Whatever, one type of tumour just sits there, doing nothing much. The other spreads like GM canola on an organic farm... If it's that type, it's best to weed it out sooner rather than later. Though either type is benign and easily treatable -- compared to the GBM. So GBM -- brain cancer -- gets the casting vote on treatment.

The surgery will be in a hospital which may -- or should -- have a plaque saying, "Deb was born here". I will check in early on Wednesday, after eight hours fasting. The urologist was willing to compromise on the time spent fasting. Turns out the anaesthetist is the real nut job, he insisted on the full 8 hours. So I get nothing, which is hard, though it probably won't be.

The balls-op is due to start at eleven.

As the Americans would say, I'd give my right nut to be home that same day. But my right nut is already committed, so I will spend the night in hospital and should check out on Thursday. The nut is committed to the urology+oncology team, to help them win the quiz in their special category of, What Cancer is That? It seems that looking is better than feeling, which is a new idea to me.
<----

Yes, I have entered an area of medicine where the jokes are soooo obvious :-)

So, anyway, I just drift into the MRI scan. Feeling just a bit disconnected. I take it easy, perhaps snooze, while a giant machine thumps and bangs and grinds around me. It's all for the brain but my mind is on my balls.

Not that that affects any of the process.

First, there's the "squirt contrast medium into blood here" device, the cannula. (A quick web search to check that spelling. I managed to avoid looking at the picture.) The scan tech has two tries, my vein (artery?) wriggles out of the way. A bit of discomfort on the second try. Call tech two!

I suggest the other arm. And it's in, easy.

Later, Deb tells me that my blood vessels -- veins? I'll just say, veins -- are enormous, there should have been no trouble at all. If the vein is bent, pushing the cannula in will push the vein away. This will put more of a bend in the vein -- and stop the smooth insertion of the cannula. Just "pull the vein straight," says Deb.

So I learn: keep my arm straight. And we agree that tech one is less experienced than tech two.

And... done. Not much sleep last night... mind on other matters... too many pricks on my well-pricked inner elbows... I take a minute to sit, rest, sip some water. I'm glad the scan is over, now I can enjoy a few days free of medical procedures :-)

Though on the way out we stop to pay the even-larger-than-expected bill. And ask about the PET scan bill. Do we owe anything? No. So, I wonder, what is the $297 "Balance owing for all invoices" on the last receipt?

We pay. We now owe nothing -- zero -- to the scan company. The person taking our money (well, credit card) is clear on that: we now owe them nothing. So what is this "Balance owing for all invoices" -- now $40 -- printed on today's receipt?!

Must find out. Some day.

For now, the scanning is over. Time to get back to thinking -- and preparing to act -- on balls. More... focus. Back on track :-)







=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"No matter where you go, there you are." ... Confucius ?

====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:

No comments:

Post a Comment