Wednesday, September 27, 2017

an oversight

Almost forgot... I have a phone call this afternoon. It's a woman from SJoG hospital. To let me know why it is taking longer than expected to decide whether I am suitable to be in their clinical trial.

Remember that clinical trial? A double-blind test of a new drug that seems to be able to reduce certain types of tumour? My brain tumour is being tested to see if it is of the correct type. There's been an unavoidable (by SJoG:-) delay in the testing, I'm told.

Meanwhile, "my" oncologist mentioned in passing, at last week's meeting, that I am not suited for the trial because I have a second "primary" cancer. Which is almost certain. Tomorrow's surgery (now today's) will lead to definite proof that I do have two primary cancers... or not.

I suggest to today's researcher that she wait a few days. Then contact the oncologist to find out if I do, indeed, have two primary cancers.

The oncologist stated as a certainty something which is not yet absolutely certain. It seems that the almost certainty -- that I have a second primary cancer -- has not been passed on to the clinical trial people. I've agreed to support some other research (https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/research-into-patient-understanding.html), though the description was not very clear. The mostly pre-printed list of drugs which I will be taking for chemo is... politely: confusing. And there is a lot of spoken communication -- on matters which seem to be very important to me but of which I have no understanding. Spoken communication with no written backup.

A couple of times I have written things down. Then asked a doctor to confirm that what I have written is correct. This helps me -- enormously. There is so much new information that it is impossible for me to hear it, understand it, recognise where I am confused and ask immediately for clarification. It is often hours later -- already home again -- when I realise that I missed an important point. Or several :-)

I have absolute faith in the skills, experience, knowledge, treatment, etc, etc of all these medical professionals. They are terrific! I just wish that they had time -- or communication skills -- to explain themselves so that I am able to understand. Or understand more, sooner, anyway.

Ah well, back to the paediatrician, to get an explanation that suits my level of understanding :-)


=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"Wer den Daumen auf dem Beutel hat, der hat die Macht." … Otto von Bismarck eh what?!

====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment