Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Ready and waiting

9:30 am, Wednesday:

I'm wearing the embarrassing hospital gown. Plus the paper hospital underwear. Had a talk with today's surgeon, the urologist. Now I'm just waiting...

The worst is over!?

Last night was preparation. Preparation involves thinking ahead, about what it is that I'm preparing for. Thinking ahead leads to worry... Not about the results... Just, uh oh, it's happening tomorrow...

Today, though:

Deb takes me to the hospital, SJoG in Mt Lawley. Admission tells me that I'm booked for day surgery... But no, that's a mistake. Back to Plan A, surgery today, spend tonight in hospital. Hmmmm, interesting start :-)

I'm stripped for action... or, rather, for easy access. Deb says goodbye. I ask her to text when she's home, to reassure me... When I am conscious enough to read the text :-)

Waiting. I find a Reader's Digest in a nearby waiting room. Reading.

The urologist visits. A pleasant, very reassuring surgeon...

She shows me where she will cut in... Higher than I expected, near the top of the passage that the testicle went down after I was born. Okay, that make sense. I'm to avoid strenuous exercise for a few weeks... Think, avoid a hernia. Walk gently, that's fine.

A definite suggestion that I delay the genesis treatment plan for a week, to 11th October. Okay, I'll make a note to call genesis. Later :-)

She'll be back tomorrow -- very early -- for a quick check of her work. Then a phone call a week later, with the results of analysis of the tumour. Followed by an email of some details. And an appointment to check the scar, a couple of weeks after the surgery.

Now I have perhaps an hour to wait. An orderly will take me to the operating theatre. I think that that's where I'll meet the anaesthetist. And after that...I hope to know very little till I wake up for... dinner?

So now, all that *I* can do is... wait. No need to worry, all I need to do is wait.

Now I'm back to feeling... relaxed :-)




====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

Now so much more than a simple holiday blog:  https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au :-)
====

There were two classes of literary reviewers: "Those who had little to say and those who had nothing." … Max Beerbohm
   

No comments:

Post a Comment