Monday, September 4, 2017

Monday 4th, late afternoon

"My" oncologist called by. Daphne Tsoi. She confirms that, yes, I have the worst case brain tumour: stage 4 glioblastoma multiforme. I think that's the name she gave. When I asked about the wikipedia table of life expectancy she said that yes, this time wikipedia is quite accurate.

So: 50% chance to live 12 to 15 months. 4% chance to survive 4 years. Dang.

The story is now more real. I've choked up occasionally. Especially when talking  to someone... This blog is fine. And it makes me feel much better. Whether or not it is ever read.

Deb & I will meet Mr Lam on Thursday to discuss pathology and treatment. About four weeks wait while the brain recovers from surgery. Six weeks radiation plus radiation-assisting drugs. Followed by Plan B... assuming I'm still alive ! Plan B will probably be  more of the  same. Until it's all pointless or too late.

There is an option of some new, experimental treatment. If my tumour has the appropriate DNA structure. If I'm in it I could get a placebo or the actual drug. Which would be obvious because it tends to cause eye inflammation... No-one yet has gone blind, they say. (Okay, a bit of exaggeration, no blindness.) I said... if Robbie says it sounds interesting, I'll put my name down. Which I now have.

I have two worries regarding my own death. (1) I don't want either pain or discomfort. (2) I want enough time to have last words... lots and lots of last words. Which is why I enjoy this blog. And am pleased that the name is still ... relevant :-)

The thought of my own -- imminent -- death is worrying. Yet I am more than glad that it is *me* dying. And not Deb, nor the boys, girls, grandson... And if you're someone else reading my comments: perhaps my death will allow *you* to skip out of the statistical opportunity. Don't waste my statistical opportunism: Enjoy, take care !

Later, early evening:

The urologist came by. She had a bit of a feel then went off to contact Lam. They seem to have agreed that brain & ball tumours are separate, brain is more serious, I'll get that treated. Then return to Jenny Kong for testicle treatment. If there's still any point in treating the testicle :-) A bit unusual, apparently, with four distinct lumps but no spread beyond the right testicle.

Dinner arrives, just as well, I'm hungry. (Body and two lumpy families to feed.) Deb has started my check-out process. I'll leave -- when I've finished eating. Next post will be from home... though it may be a while, I'm not expecting as much action when I'm home. Though if anything changes -- I hope to blog it.

It's nice to be heading home :-)

Till the next time...

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

Now so much more than a simple holiday blog:  https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au :-)
====

"We must learn from our past mistakes so that we can improve our new mistakes" … per Ginger Meggs
   

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are suitable for the experimental treatment and it works. Let me know when you are up to having a visit. Cheers Col

    ReplyDelete