Saturday, September 2, 2017

Saturday 2nd -- evening

Another day in hospital. I think -- at the end of the last entry -- I was lying awake. Post-operation. So now, I'm fixed :-) For now.

The usual nurses, asking if I've peed, if I've pooed... It's a hospital. Measuring how much I have not peed (curious), blood pressure (fine) heart rate (acceptably slow). The occasional pill to swallow, I'm an expert now. A daily jab -- anti-blood-clot, I think -- in the stomach. Luckily there's plenty of fat to absorb the needle. But I am collecting small bruises.

Best part of the day: Deb comes to visit :-)

Mr Lam has just been by, wants to also talk to Deb about how to treat me when I go home. Deb arrives just minutes later. Looking very worried, more so than me, poor Deb :-( I send her to the nurses station, Mr Lam reappears a few minutes later.

From what I remember the instructions are, I'm to take it easy. Fine by me :-) We'll check back, about Thursday, get the results of the lump analysis. He's expecting an aggressive cancer requiring chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Stick my head in a microwave, I say. Lam will also line up a urologist for the other end of my rehabilitation.

Then Deb and I sit, chatting a bit, keeping each other company.

Deb is far more worried than me. I'm in denial... I also know exactly how I feel, which is not too bad. And I'm getting what seems to be the best of care. Anyway, what will be, will be... Deb has to go home with nothing much to do other than worry.

A physio had passed by, said I should practise standing, moving. So Deb and I walk -- slowly -- round the corridors. I'm still in my embarrasing hospital gown, Deb wants me to look decent, perhaps even wear proper pyjamas. But hey, I'm in hospital... and I'm happy to dress just as... casually... as at home :-) But I do try to keep my backside tucked in as we walk.

I send Deb to get a chocolate, I have a minor craving. I also have a coffee. And most of Deb's muffin. Probably putting on weight...

Dinner time. I'm given a mild laxative. (Sorry, but I am in a hospital.) I doubt if the laxative has had time to act, I'm on the toilet as soon as food hits my gut.

I had tried to phone Auntie Pat this morning. Caught her this afternoon, after Deb has gone home. I didn't want AP to get a fright from my various emails. AP is well (so she claims), her family are worse off than I am. As usual.

I do a few laps of the corridors on my own, I'm steady enough. Then -- to surprise Deb for tomorrow -- I shave, and comb my hair. I'm not allowed to get my hair -- the scar -- wet yet, so I don't shower. But a shave probably helps.Let's see if I get wolf whistles on my next walk...

Gaye phoned Deb, Deb says thatGaye would like to get me referred to her Dr Carroll for neurological -- follow-up -- treatment. I'll send Gaye an email. But I rather prefer a random doc, so no-one is upset if he turns out to be awful. First, we'll see who Lam names. Maybe.

So, here I still am. Shaved, unshowered, light-headed (lol). From what Lam said, the hole would be big enough to put in a thumb. But the bone is back in place. It won't regrow but will be held in place by scar tissue.

I plan to sleep. I hope Deb sleeps well. Difficult times... More difficult for Deb.







====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"We must learn from our past mistakes so that we can improve our new mistakes" … per Ginger Meggs
   

No comments:

Post a Comment